ABATE of Indiana, Inc. Logo
Board Meeting Minutes

Board of Directors Meeting Minutes

June 17, 2017

LCRP, Springville, IN

 

Executive Director Jay Jackson opened the meeting at 4:07pm with the Pledge of Allegiance.  Those in attendance were:  Region 00-Pam McCoy; Region 01-Wayne Kopec; Region 02-Don ‘Bear’ Hewitt; Region 03-Scott Bowman; Region 04-Jan Johns (arrived at 4:30); Region 05-Tony Brummett; Region 06-Joey Macke; Region 07- Ken Harris & Ernie & Janet Davidson; Region 08-Mike Jeffers; Region 09-Mo Kintner; Region 10-Thom ‘Hippy’ Henderson & Dean Hall; Region 11-Zach Bird; Region 13-Aaron Meyer; Editor/Publisher-Marc Falsetti; Secretary/Treasurer Tina McCormack; Administrative Assistant Dana Surd; AdComm- Rick Thompson; DIRT-Roy Garrett; Event Security-Mike Clendenen & Danny Bertolet; Vendor Coordinators-Mike Strode, Herb Archer & Jamie Stowe; Electrical-Bruce Proctor & Russell ‘Gus’ Beers; MSD-Dave ‘Poss’m’ Hinshaw; Tent Crew-Mike Seiler; RKRC-Olin Reed; EMTs-Mike ‘Hadji’ Barnes & Angie Crawford; PTVFD-Max Peters; A&A Quick Pump-Ron Craig; Salt Creek Brewery-Brad Hawkins; Operations Director LCRP-Rayce Guthrie.  Dave Hawkins previously notified he would be absent & was excused.

 

ITEM 1:  The group reviewed schedules & preparedness with each Boogie crew leader.  There was discussion regarding RV tank pumping, inaugural Boogie beer, relocating the Boogie bar, turning the Big Top 90 degrees, moving field events to the main stage field, condensing EMTs to two stations, gate procedures, traffic flow, & advertising the Boogie. 

 

Tina communicated that Frank Moyer will need a driver for the rental van starting Wednesday, 7/19.  Dana requested lists from the regions & crews that have not submitted theirs.

 

ITEM 2:  Marc distributed samples of the postcards he designed for renewal reminders, & also a new promotional page.  He anticipates mailing the first reminder postcards within a few weeks.  Tina asked that any regions sending notices to their members forward a copy of the notice to the state office, so office personnel can answer questions about the notice when we receive calls.

 

Marc reminded everyone that our website is mobile compatible.  He also reminded the group to submit letters to the Hoosier Motorcyclist.

 

Wayne asked about progress on including information about ABATE in the rider ed classes.  It’s on Marc’s list of projects to be completed.

 

Marc recently received an inquiry from a concert producer wanting to advertise at Boogie.  He’ll follow up with her.  He discussed possibilities of live audio streaming &/or Facebook postings to promote Boogie throughout Boogie weekend.

 

ITEM 3:  Jay voiced his appreciation to the board for their cooperation in starting the meeting later, so that people wanting to pay their respects at Rick Perkins’ funeral service could do so.

 

Jay asked for consensus on purchasing a mechanical bull.  Consensus is to not own a mechanical bull.  We would like to have some sort of carnival attraction for Boogie.

 

ITEM 4:  Tina announced that she will consult with Gino regarding a contribution from Coliseum Bingo.

 

She then requested a motion to approve the January/February financials.

MOTION 1 

 

She reviewed the March/April financial package distributed at this meeting. 

 

Tina asked for an update regarding a bank account for Region 10, & requested monthly reports & bank statements from Region 9.  She reminded everyone to return all sold & unsold Boogie Bike Raffle tickets & the cash either to the state office, or the office trailer at Boogie. 

 

ITEM 5:  Jay announced that the Miracle Ride has surpassed $6,000,000 in contributions to Riley Children’s Hospital.  Rayce announced the dates for this year’s Miracle Trail Ride to be August 19 & 20. 

 

ITEM 6:  Jay stated that we didn’t have enough help at the Hoosier Outdoor Experience (HOEX) this year, even though Rodney has been asking for help since our November board meeting.  We had over 800 waivers from HOEX.  Jay reminded the group that we need volunteers for these events.  Tony observed that many of our volunteers at HOEX are not ABATE members.

 

Roy added that our attraction was the most visited, & the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) people appreciate our participation. 

 

Jay updated the group on the recent meeting with Indy Downtown Inc (IDI) regarding Motorcycles on Meridian (MOM).  We are planning to have several restaurants offer discounts to attendees that purchase the event t-shirt from ABATE.  He reiterated the need for volunteers to work this event.  Ken Harris conveyed a message from a member who said he called our office to volunteer for MOM & was told someone would call him back; he’s still waiting for a return call.  Jay said to have the member call him directly.  Discussion followed regarding incentivizing volunteers.

 

ITEM 7:  Jay announced that our average dollars spent per bingo player is slightly increased over this time last year.  We’ve incurred maintenance costs for the ice machine & fire suppression system at Freedom Hall. We may replace the ice machine soon, & have a quote of $6,000 just to obtain an estimate to replace the fire suppression system.  

 

ITEM 8:  Jay informed the group that Mike Meyer is hosting an event & will not be here today. 

 

This past Thursday, Rayce, Roy, Mike Meyer & Jay met with a group, including DNR, to discuss ways to promote off-highway vehicle (OHV) safety.  They will meet again on June 27, & have an Indiana Trails Advisory Board (ITAB) meeting on June 29.

 

The MRF & AMA both have updates on the anti-profiling & ethanol legislative activity.  

 

We still have strong interest from Governor Holcomb in participating in our Ride With the Governor (RWG) this year, but have no dates yet.

 

ITEM 9:  Our rider ed season is progressing.  We have a severe personnel shortage, which we anticipated would happen.   

 

Our instructors continue to be excited about the new curriculum we’re utilizing.  Pam McCoy added that she observed students seeming more confident.

 

We continue to receive contact from students that have mistakenly been refused their endorsement by a BMV branch.

 

Discussion followed regarding mobilizing volunteers, & a short survey during MOM.  Thom ‘Hippy’ Henderson suggested using the survey at Salt Creek Brewery June 29 during their H-D Trivia Night.

 

Jay announced that the International Rider Education Training System (IRETS) will be in Ohio in September. 

 

ITEM 10:  The Ad-Comm did not meet today.  Bob Stoner is out of state, Rod Taylor was unable to attend, & Gino & Wendy Johnson are celebrating her birthday (Happy Birthday, Wendy!).  Rick Thompson was in charge.

 

ITEM 11:  Jay stated that member recruitment is a top priority.

 

He commented on the improvements at LCRP & how nice & clean things are.  LCRP recently purchased a sprayer system for the pickup truck.

 

Some discussion followed regarding Boogie RV sites.

 

ITEM 12:  Rayce discussed the need for guidelines for region groups visiting to camp & work.  Everyone must sign a waiver.

 

ITEM 13:  Pam McCoy asked if there is a way to track motorcycle fatalities.  Jay answered that Automated Reporting Information Exchange System (ARIES) is used by Indiana State Police (ISP); John Bodeker with the Indiana Criminal Justice Institute (ICJI), DNR, & some members share information with us when they learn of crashes &/or fatalities.  The Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS) is another reporting system but isn’t usually official until August of the following year.

 

Wayne announced a member is donating a bench to LCRP.

 

Discussion followed regarding region custom easy-ups; consensus is to attach banners to a plain easy-up.  Jay will ask Marc to research banners for this use.

 

ITEM 14:  Meeting adjourned, 7:56pm.

MOTION 2

 

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

Tina McCormack

Secretary/Treasurer

 

The next scheduled Board of Directors meeting will be August 20 at Freedom Hall.

 

 

 

 

MOTIONS

 

Motion 1:  Jan Johns motioned to approve Jan/Feb financials, Don ‘Bear’ Hewitt seconded.  All regions present voted yes; motion carried.

 

Motion 2:  Ken Harris motioned to adjourn, Thom ‘Hippy’ Henderson seconded.  All regions voted in favor; motion carried.

Facebook    Twitter    Twitter-Alert                                 Copyright © ABATE of Indiana, Inc. 2018 ® All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy